English undoubtedly is the lingua franca of the world and we use English all over the internet & social media. Apart from that English is required for education, learning and development. Here are 10 reasons you should consider improving your English language skills:
1. For Higher Education
In most of the top universities, colleges and schools, English is the medium of instruction and examination. Which makes proficiency in English a pre-requisite to do well in studies.
2. For Jobs Abroad
Many of us want to move to the western part of the world for better jobs and higher pay. In order to get a decent job and survive we certainly need English language.
3. To Know the World Better
Many of the world’s top movies, books and music are published and produced in English. Hence by getting better at English you will have access to a great deal of entertainment, knowledge and information and will be able to achieve a greater cultural understanding.
4. To Get Your First Job
If you are a fresh graduate looking for your fist job, Excellent English communication skills is your key to set yorself apart from the crowd. Impressive communication skills can lend you your first job.
5. To Grow in Your Career
If you are a working professional who wants to move to the next level in your career or wants to get a leadership role, your ability to communicate effectively in English is the key determiner in your career growth. Professionals with excellent comunication and interpersonal skills get preference over those with mere technical expertise.
6. To Socialise Confidently
English in today's world has become a social language everywhere. For example when you attend an office party or a family function or a parent-teacher meeting at your child's school, you are required to speak in English. Therefore in order to socialise confidently and with ease one needs to possess decent English speaking skills.
7. To Travel
All of us want to liberate ourselves from our day to day work lives and want to travel abroad. English is the only language which is spoken most widely across all continents. So with decent English language skills you will be able to manage in any part of the world.
If you need professional help to improve your English language skills, we can help. English Caffe offers Spoken English Classes in Noida for freshers, job seekers and working professionals. Our extensive classroom courses help our trainees develop impressive English speaking skills, effective communication skills, soft skills and overall personality. English Caffe is an English Language Training Institute with the difference as our purpose is to provide the highest possible quality in English language training at an affordable fee. Visit us at www.englishcaffe.in to know more or call us at 8826262712/8826262714/8826262718/01204292441
Given the educational, career and social requirements, most of us have tried to improve our English speaking skills at some point in life. Whereas everyone wants to speak English fluently and confidently, not many are able to achieve that.
Today we would like to list 5 reasons that stop us from improving our English speaking skills and later discuss how we can overcome:
1. Lack of Burning Desire
All of us realise that it's important to improve our English speaking skills and we NEED to improve however, not many of us actually WANT to improve. Due to this lack of desire from within many of us never make any real progress.
2. Focus Only on Grammar
A lot of us Indians have grown up feeling that the day we know all the grammar, we will be able to speak English fluently. Truly speaking that's what always stops us from using the language and since we don't use English to communicate, we never actually improve in it.
3. Fear of Humiliation
In India we are taught English as compulsory subject in Private as well as Government schools, hence we have already built the base in terms of vocabulary and grammar by the time we graduate from school, however, many of us feel that if we try to speak in English, people will laugh at our mistakes so we never even try.
4. Perceiving English as Something Evil
I come across many people who know that they need to improve their skills to grow in their careers but still connect it with Colonial Period and British Rule. They also believe that having to learn English makes them feel like we are still ruled by British. So their internal friction keeps them from improving.
5. Ignorance About How to Actually Improve
Many of us don't really know how to get better with our English. We download some apps, watch some videos on YouTube, watch a Hollywood movie once in a while but don't end up making any significant progress as we never set any measurable goals and timelines.
Now I would like to talk about HOW we can make some real progress in our English Speaking Skills.
1. To develop interest in a language start exploring literature in the language. i. e. read a book on subject of your interest, watch a movie of the genre you like, read stories, read comic books, watch comedy, listen to music. Learning a language makes you familiar with a different way of living.
2. Grammar is Important! However, the best approach to learn a language is to use it. Listening, Speaking, Reading & Writing are the four language skills. We need to practice all four everyday in order to get better in English. There are countless ways in which you can practice these skills. And as you continue doing that you will naturally learn grammar patterns and structures.
3. Don't be afraid of humiliation. In fact if someone criticises you for a mistake or shares feedback with you, it will help you get better. So, use criticism constructively!
4. Understand that like any other language of the world English is a language. The only difference is that today it is spoken in a large part of the world and anywhere in the world you go you can find someone who speaks English so English opens your doors to the world. Embrace it!
5. As mentioned above you need to start using a language so as to improve your skills in it. Using refers to listening, speaking, reading and writing. If you can't figure out how to do that or don't know how to set English learning goals for yourself, you can take professional help. There are several institutes including English Caffe which can help you in that.
Wish you all the best!
English Caffe Blog
The posts are written by our trainers who have been helping people speak better English for a while now and are passionate about learning as well as training. These guys believe that learning is a constant and never ending process.